Elias Hanzer is an Austrian graphic designer with an appetite for type. Letterforms of all shapes and serifs are an endless graphic delight on his tumblr, even more impressive when you learn that many typefaces are designed by Elias himself.
Currently studying visual communication at the University of the Arts in Berlin, Elias is spending his time “more and more focusing on type design,” he explains. The results are grotesque, in the design sense of course, recently creating a new typeface, Eh Normal. The typeface is available in three weights, light, regular and bold, and includes three different stylesheets, “Space, Jungle and City,” to showcase its differentiating characteristics.
Further typeface designs from Elias include Moment a “graffiti-inspired scribble typeface,” the designer tells It’s Nice That. To resonate with his inspiration of graffiti “each character comes with an alternate variation to simulate writing on a wall”. Working with designer Lucas Liccini, the font graced a recent cover of Protocol Magazin.
In terms of graphic design output Elias’ most recent work, a series of posters for lectures at his university, display his ability to arrange and manipulate type. Each of the posters were screen printed “since we wanted to print the poster for the following talk over the previous one, creating an effect of layers," says Elias. The results pack a printed punch with primary colours thickly layered on top of one another.
With an upcoming internship at abcDinamo a Berlin based type foundry, we look forward to seeing Elias’ growing portfolio and future in font.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled