Looking through the roster of Paris/London record label, Because, is like unearthing hidden gems from your past on top of a wealth of hits.
From Mr Oizo to the Tom Tom Club, Christine and The Queens to Amadou & Mariam, its roster is consistently electronically diverse. Not to mention its joint creative venture with Erol Alkan’s label Phantasy which includes artists Daniel Avery and Connan Mockasin.
Jane Third, the senior vice president in the UK and head of A&R is responsible for some of the label’s greatest signings of recent years. She signed and developed Mercury-nominated artists Metronomy and Django Django, as well as established acts including Little Dragon.
This week’s Friday Mixtape sees Jane in control of the It’s Nice That stereo. She has created an electronic playlist featuring some Because signings and a range of other treasures.
Why have you picked these songs, and how do they make you feel?
I’ve gone for a lo-fi electro playlist, as that’s the music I’m always drawn to year on year. There’s something reassuring about a cheap electronic sound.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
In the kitchen on a Sunday morning through a crappy bluetooth speaker.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager?
Bjork’s Debut, Massive Attack, Blue Lines, The Prodigy, Music for the Jilted Generation, Leftfield, Leftism.
What song or album is consistently playing in your office?
Right now it’s Bonobo, but I don’t control the stereo!
If a feature film about Because was to be made, what would be the song playing on the trailer?
Metronomy, You Could Easily Have Me.
- Experimental photography magazine Bill plays with the notion of the image as a material object
- Thomas Demand in conversation with It’s Nice That
- For Alice Monvaillier, animation is a "pretty magical process"
- My Body Feels Amazing: Elevator Teeth uses words and images to conduct a dialogue with the self
- City Edition Studio creates projects with a soft, collaborative and kind tone of voice
- Jack Smyth talks us through what makes a successful book jacket design
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits