Looking through the roster of Paris/London record label, Because, is like unearthing hidden gems from your past on top of a wealth of hits.
From Mr Oizo to the Tom Tom Club, Christine and The Queens to Amadou & Mariam, its roster is consistently electronically diverse. Not to mention its joint creative venture with Erol Alkan’s label Phantasy which includes artists Daniel Avery and Connan Mockasin.
Jane Third, the senior vice president in the UK and head of A&R is responsible for some of the label’s greatest signings of recent years. She signed and developed Mercury-nominated artists Metronomy and Django Django, as well as established acts including Little Dragon.
This week’s Friday Mixtape sees Jane in control of the It’s Nice That stereo. She has created an electronic playlist featuring some Because signings and a range of other treasures.
Why have you picked these songs, and how do they make you feel?
I’ve gone for a lo-fi electro playlist, as that’s the music I’m always drawn to year on year. There’s something reassuring about a cheap electronic sound.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
In the kitchen on a Sunday morning through a crappy bluetooth speaker.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager?
Bjork’s Debut, Massive Attack, Blue Lines, The Prodigy, Music for the Jilted Generation, Leftfield, Leftism.
What song or album is consistently playing in your office?
Right now it’s Bonobo, but I don’t control the stereo!
If a feature film about Because was to be made, what would be the song playing on the trailer?
Metronomy, You Could Easily Have Me.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice