Shot on the vast, open grasslands that run from the mountains of Inner Mongolia to the border of Outer Mongolia, the film contrasts kaleidoscopic costumes against a serene backdrop for strikingly cinematic visuals. The film’s narrative, however, remains quiet, calm and minimal, observing the intriguing characters and depicting wrestling in an unusually undramatic way.
“We were interested in this lesser known form of wrestling only found and practiced by a small group of men in Inner Mongolia,” Gem explains. “The strong cultural heritage and ritual of the sport intrigued us. We were particularly interested in how it governed status for young men within the community as well as defining manliness."
“When a boy is born in Inner Mongolia, his family pray for him to become a wrestler. This ancient tradition is still a key status symbol in the nomadic community and the central focus of many young men’s lives.”
“After spending time getting to know the wrestlers, one thing which stood out was how they navigate between the past and present. As young men they intuitively transition between a passionate dedication to continuing this cultural tradition which dates back centuries, while also being interested in present day fashion and culture, despite having exceptionally limited connection to the internet and living in a very remote location.”
Shot over 10 days, Bökh premieres today on Nowness and the stills, exclusive to It’s Nice That, can be viewed below.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice