There’s a famous clip of Norwegian TV presenter Bjorge Lillelien chastising the English after his country saw off England in a football world Cup qualifier. “Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher – can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!” Its curious mix of political grandees, a princess and a boxer combine to see it regularly voted the best bit of commentary of all time and ever since I have had a grudging admiration for Norway and Norwegians.
Until now it has just been Bjorge Lillelien who I can hang my Norway-loving hat on, but now I can add the fine people at Grandpeople who have been producing consistently excellent graphic design, photography, illustration and creative direction for years now and their prodigious output shows no sign of slowing down. A host of new work added to their website this week includes many of their trademarks – strikingly simple visuals, fantastic use of texture and a bombastic talent for colour.
- Andrew Onorato’s surreal short about a genie and his eggy housemates
- Parts of the Process — Gucci suits, puppies and blue-iced cupcakes: Behind the scenes of Us’ music video for Harry Styles
- Eike König’s students create a courageous calendar featuring a host of exciting illustrative talent
- How can we build “feel good” cities?
- Dani Pujalte captures Spain's immense cultural centres suffering from a lack of use
- Photographer Irina Rozovsky on how she captures considered moments across the globe
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Renowned graphic designer Ivan Chermayeff has died aged 85
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Marina Lewandowska’s graduation project shows graphic design flair and function
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Working Not Working charts the top 50 companies creatives want to work for