There’s a famous clip of Norwegian TV presenter Bjorge Lillelien chastising the English after his country saw off England in a football world Cup qualifier. “Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher – can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!” Its curious mix of political grandees, a princess and a boxer combine to see it regularly voted the best bit of commentary of all time and ever since I have had a grudging admiration for Norway and Norwegians.
Until now it has just been Bjorge Lillelien who I can hang my Norway-loving hat on, but now I can add the fine people at Grandpeople who have been producing consistently excellent graphic design, photography, illustration and creative direction for years now and their prodigious output shows no sign of slowing down. A host of new work added to their website this week includes many of their trademarks – strikingly simple visuals, fantastic use of texture and a bombastic talent for colour.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories