There’s a famous clip of Norwegian TV presenter Bjorge Lillelien chastising the English after his country saw off England in a football world Cup qualifier. “Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher – can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!” Its curious mix of political grandees, a princess and a boxer combine to see it regularly voted the best bit of commentary of all time and ever since I have had a grudging admiration for Norway and Norwegians.
Until now it has just been Bjorge Lillelien who I can hang my Norway-loving hat on, but now I can add the fine people at Grandpeople who have been producing consistently excellent graphic design, photography, illustration and creative direction for years now and their prodigious output shows no sign of slowing down. A host of new work added to their website this week includes many of their trademarks – strikingly simple visuals, fantastic use of texture and a bombastic talent for colour.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum