Let’s make no bones about it, Britain is Europe’s binge-drinking capital and if photographer Maciej Dakowicz’s new book (and my experience of being a student in Cardiff for three years) is anything to go by, it is a reputation the partygoers flocking to the streets of the Welsh capital are proud to live up to.
From bodies sprawled across the pavements, bloody noses, shameless flirtation and no end to the scantily-clad and fancily-dressed, Cardiff, and indeed Maciej, have witnessed it all.
Spending five years documenting the Saturday night revellers as they spill onto the streets (and into the chip shops) of the city, Maciej’s new book Cardiff After Dark takes no prisoners, laying bare the emotions that come with one gin and tonic too many, and the photographs stand as a stunningly poignant documentation of Britain’s drinking culture. From elation and joy to sadness and humiliation, Maciej captures it all rather perfectly.
Cardiff After Dark by Maciej Dakowicz, published by Thames & Hudson is available now and the series is on show at The Third Floor Gallery in Cardiff from October 14 until December 2.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Cordova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner