Let’s make no bones about it, Britain is Europe’s binge-drinking capital and if photographer Maciej Dakowicz’s new book (and my experience of being a student in Cardiff for three years) is anything to go by, it is a reputation the partygoers flocking to the streets of the Welsh capital are proud to live up to.
From bodies sprawled across the pavements, bloody noses, shameless flirtation and no end to the scantily-clad and fancily-dressed, Cardiff, and indeed Maciej, have witnessed it all.
Spending five years documenting the Saturday night revellers as they spill onto the streets (and into the chip shops) of the city, Maciej’s new book Cardiff After Dark takes no prisoners, laying bare the emotions that come with one gin and tonic too many, and the photographs stand as a stunningly poignant documentation of Britain’s drinking culture. From elation and joy to sadness and humiliation, Maciej captures it all rather perfectly.
Cardiff After Dark by Maciej Dakowicz, published by Thames & Hudson is available now and the series is on show at The Third Floor Gallery in Cardiff from October 14 until December 2.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories