Design practice and religious practice don’t often go hand in hand, but thanks to Norwich’s Maddison Graphic The Methodist Church is starting to shake off some of its stuffier visual associations – think chintzy plates of scalloped biscuits passed round beige rooms by dowdily-dressed spinsters – moving into classier territory.
Two recent publications produced for their use feature crisp, contemporary design that, surprisingly, doesn’t feel at all out of place as a means of religious communication. Both The Fruitful Field and A Handbook for New Superintendents: Circuit Processes (admittedly that’s still quite a stuffy name) are simple, beautifully designed pieces of print that are entirely fit for purpose.
Maddison Graphic are making waves in Norwich’s design scene by working almost exclusively with local clients, forgoing the big bucks available from multinational companies in favour of forging long-term relationships with smaller businesses in their surrounding area. Sceptics would argue that this inhibits the scope and scale of their work, but a quick browse through their recently updated portfolio is enough to dispel this idea. They’re making fantastic work for an unusual roster of clients, and making Norwich look good and communicate better in the process.
- Artist Olivié Keck explores South African youth culture through a vibrant VR video
- Crossing dimensions: digital artists Wang & Söderström turn Klas Ernflo's illustrations into a 3D still life
- Studio Creme's 3D scanned campaign film for Heresy is inspired by "mysticism and folklore"
- Designer Carolien Niebling wants you to meet the meat we eat
- Franziska Morlok and Miriam Waszelewski's Bookshelf explores the most interesting and unique bookbinding techniques
- Duncan Cowles' new film explores the panicky feeling that a creative idea might not be amazing enough
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- Design to improve the general quality of life: exploring Paul Rand's IBM Graphic Standards Manual
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura