Nelly Chevaillier is a French artist who we discovered on Instagram, the ideal setting for her digital paintings, created using her iPhone and her fingers as paint brushes.
Using the app Sketches, Nelly has adopted this method due to the physicality of it, “the zooming in, the zooming out, the pressing, the sweeping, the letting go, the taping, the caressing – all of it on the small rectangle surface – it’s part of what makes the production of these images addictive and obsessional,” she tells It’s Nice That.
The mobility of using her iPhone allows Nelly to create her pieces wherever she feels, purposefully at home or just to the pass time on the move. Each of her digitalised paintings are also consistently, strict to the confinements of the iPhone screen sizing.
In terms of visual themes each of Nelly’s artworks the figures are an “accumulation of mental images,” never using a real life model but mostly focusing upon “a person, a portrait, a body,” and familiar objects in a expressive rather than conceptual style. The result is a series of tonal and textured images that make it difficult to comprehend that they were made digitally.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled