For April’s edition of Nicer Tuesdays we welcome exciting talents across illustration, animation, film and photography to our podium at Oval Space. Get tickets now for 25 April to hear Nicolas Ménard, Emily and Alice Stein, Daniel Frost and Me & EU speak about the ideas and process behind their recent work.
The event is now sold out – sign up to the newsletter to be the first to know about future events.
Nicolas Ménard is a Canadian animator and illustrator known for his dynamic compositions and often darkly humoured narratives, brought together in vibrant colours. His film Wednesday With Goddard about one man’s search for God brings all these elements together in brilliant harmony, and unsurprisingly won Best Animated Short at last month’s SXSW Film Awards. He’ll be telling us about how he made the animation with fellow illustrator Manshen Lo.
Emily and Alice Stein are a creative sister duo who we’ve featured individually over the years for photography and film projects, but most recently together for their collaborative film I Am Nora. The project began as a photo series about Nora Marie Harper, a retired architect in her mid 70s with a fascinating yet sad life story to tell; this film is the next stage in that project, more focused on celebrating Nora’s delightful zest for later life. The duo will be sharing more about their film, and how it is to work together.
Illustrator Daniel Frost has a real knack for depicting the characters and atmosphere of a moment in time, building images packed with energy that you just want to explore. For his latest work he travelled to Greenland, aesthetically moving away from his typically crisp forms to capture the country’s landscape and people in gouache paintings. Daniel will be giving insight to his trip, his process and why travels inspire his creative approach.
Joining the line-up will be Sam T Smith & Nathan Smith, co-creators of Me & EU. The project comprises a series of postcards by UK-based creatives in reaction to Brexit, put together by the duo. Featuring contributors such as Craig Oldham, NB Studio, Catalogue and designers from KesselsKramer, the collection features diverse creative responses to the referendum result, ranging from comical to provocative. Sam will be at the podium, and though Nathan is abroad he promises to be present somehow…
- Luis Alberto Rodriguez photographs use contorted and twisted limbs to express emotion
- Season Zine's Felicia Pennant on how the publication puts female football fans first
- Record label Melody as Truth is carving out a woozy, spacey audio-visual niche
- “Create a flag that represents your own Island” – The amazing entries from the #MyIslandFlag Insta brief
- We ask Nadine Redlich, Wieden+Kennedy and more to visualise their highlights of the World Cup
- Friday Mixtape: Caterina Bianchini's mix to listen to "In your pants! On the bus! Walking! Running!"
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- Penguin unveils striking series of redesigned Jack Kerouac books
- Veteran designer Sir Kenneth Grange has reconfigured the pint glass
- Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contemporary twist