Tickets for Nicer Tuesdays October are now available featuring a discipline-spanning line-up of four speakers who work across graphic design, illustration, art direction, publications, photography and filmmaking.
Joining us at Oval Space on October 30 is Studio Dumbar’s creative director Liza Enebeis, illustrator Grace Helmer, art director and The Gourmand co-founder David Lane and multi-faceted creative, Mahaneela.
We’re excited to have Liza Enebeis, creative director of renowned Dutch practitioners Studio Dumbar, join us from Rotterdam for October’s Nicer Tuesdays. A highly respected studio with countless projects which have shaped the trends and styles of contemporary graphic design, Liza will be focusing the talk on the studio’s application of moveable type. A front runner in studios which utilise the graphic beauty of typography by pushing it to move, Liza will be using this medium to run through some of Studio Dumbar’s projects. Her talk will also particularly focus on the studio’s work with Amsterdam Sinfonietta spanning 14 years, leading to a new identity designed this year.
A creative of multiple talents, Mahaneela’s work spans disciplines from photographing the latest cover of Gal-Dem magazine, working with brands such as Adidas and Nike, to creating short films such as Kindred which debuted at the Tate Modern. Alongside this work, Mahaneela also sneaks out of traditional creative routes and manages musician Denai Moore is a writer and curator, oh, and she also founded music consultancy agency Cozy and co-founded all women collective, In Bloom. Mahaneela will be joining us to chat about her multifaceted practice.
A creative we’ve written about countless times through his various projects, David Lane will join us at Nicer Tuesdays to talk through the different components of his studio, Lane and Associates. Known for founding The Gourmand with Marina Tweed, art directing Frieze magazine and the studio’s regular work with Ally Capellino, David will be touching on the various projects formed out of his art direction also introducing the studio’s new work for Robyn’s album Missing U.
An It’s Nice That favourite since we made her one of our graduates back in 2012, Grace Helmer will be talking through her illustrative practice at this month’s Nicer Tuesdays. With works full of such painted detail, Grace’s talent has won us over time and time again, whether she’s drawing a Japanese landscape or an activity book on Van Gogh. Grace will be taking the audience through the ways she creates her astonishingly meticulous illustrations.
- Review of the Year 2018: Back to Back with Astrid Stavro and Jody Hudson-Powell
- Adam Higton and Atelier Bingo collaborate to illustratively visualise the 12 months of the year
- Data journalist Mona Chalabi reviews her 2018 in statistics
- Kim Gehrig's latest advert is an eclectic, inclusive ode to the vulva
- Emulsion is a new magazine offering a holistic view of culture
- What one word best sums up your year? Take part in our Review of the Year Instagram brief
- Blok rethinks the design of cannabis after its legalisation in Canada
- We ask Duncan Cowles to create the ultimate Christmas ad, using only Adobe Stock and some expert advice
- Christmas decorations cause OCD sufferers distress in New York
- Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared to debut at Sundance Film Festival
- Design studio Julia on a decade of turning complex ideas into graphic symbols
- Multi-faceted designers Studio Bergini hops between projects with a cool, clean elegance