Nicos Livesey has created an animation entirely from icing, sugar and jelly for confectionary brand Maynards Bassetts. The film takes the animator’s usual claymation style into new media, making it entirely edible.
The fast-paced film features psychedelic patterns, creepy circus music, robots, wizards, rockets and other bizarre characters, all shot in-camera. Using these new materials came with a host of production challenges, as Nicos explains: “A few models melted, and they didn’t bend so we had to build entirely new models for some shots. One day I even caught some of the model makers eating some of the set,” he laughs. “But I did eat one of the frames when I had no food in the house.”
This follows his brilliantly hair-raising film Glore commissioned by It’s Nice That for Channel 4’s Random Acts.
It is the final short to be released as part of a series produced by Blinkink and Blink Art for Wieden + Kennedy. The other eight ads were created by Rob Flowers, Tom Omeara, Parabella, Chris Bristow, Cartwright Gantz, Jonny & Will, Sebaldo and Jack Sachs, and can be viewed here.
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Curator Andrea Giunta on her new exhibition Radical Women
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum