Breakbot AKA Thibaut Jean-Marie Michel Berland, a French producer and DJ has enlisted director and animator Oilvier Lescot to create the music video for his latest single Another You, featuring Ruckazoid, which is being released today.
Fully animated, the video opens on a TV reading the artists’ names and track title before transporting us to cityscape where a long-haired, sunglasses-wearing protagonist proceeds to sing the song. Named Breakazoid, this character represents the merging of Breakbot and Ruckazoid and is desired as a “cosmic pimp”.
“The creation of the character and his universe were quite important listening to the music of Breakbot,” Olivier explains, “I was projecting into a space thing, cosmic, round, with curves and simple shapes. I realised that the character could be divided into an association of several hearts and different shapes, especially his face.”
Throughout the video, Breakazoid then proceeds to travel through his universe, leaping from buildings and skidding into increasingly abstract scenes. Stylistically, the video remains largely flat, comprised of block colours which form shape through their use of negative space. This is disrupted by cut-scenes which adopt a more pop art style, featuring a bitmap-like aesthetic.
It’s in its transitions that the video is most successful, akin to Disney’s Hercules (or something similar) it effortlessly merges and evolves from scene-to-scene, an underwater world one minute and a Martini glass the next.
- From snowboarder to graphic designer, Kazuhiro Aihara constantly seeks artistry in design
- “Every design project can be somehow political”: Felipe Rocha on his multifaceted portfolio
- Jeffrey Cheung’s new book is a joyous celebration of QTPOC communities
- Shake, England, shake: Ian Howorth photographs a vision of Arcadia
- Uma Bista’s photographs address gender inequality in Nepalese communities
- Meet Tess Smith-Roberts, the illustration student who adds a "stupid little smiley" to every character
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- Lacoste once again swaps its iconic crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits
- Introducing Double Click – our new series rounding up the best of the digital design world