Breakbot AKA Thibaut Jean-Marie Michel Berland, a French producer and DJ has enlisted director and animator Oilvier Lescot to create the music video for his latest single Another You, featuring Ruckazoid, which is being released today.
Fully animated, the video opens on a TV reading the artists’ names and track title before transporting us to cityscape where a long-haired, sunglasses-wearing protagonist proceeds to sing the song. Named Breakazoid, this character represents the merging of Breakbot and Ruckazoid and is desired as a “cosmic pimp”.
“The creation of the character and his universe were quite important listening to the music of Breakbot,” Olivier explains, “I was projecting into a space thing, cosmic, round, with curves and simple shapes. I realised that the character could be divided into an association of several hearts and different shapes, especially his face.”
Throughout the video, Breakazoid then proceeds to travel through his universe, leaping from buildings and skidding into increasingly abstract scenes. Stylistically, the video remains largely flat, comprised of block colours which form shape through their use of negative space. This is disrupted by cut-scenes which adopt a more pop art style, featuring a bitmap-like aesthetic.
It’s in its transitions that the video is most successful, akin to Disney’s Hercules (or something similar) it effortlessly merges and evolves from scene-to-scene, an underwater world one minute and a Martini glass the next.
- Sophie Wililams shares intimate behind-the-scenes footage from Mura Masa's latest music videos
- Wide-eyed and scratchy-haired, read the twisted diaries of Irene Montemurro
- Lazy Susan, the mother of all inventions, comes to life in Terri Timely's short film
- “I’ve always felt like this is not my happy place”: Rankin on his relationship to fashion
- Steamy scenes of fun and fur: meet Sophie Larrimore’s puffy pooches
- From 3D in-browser games to cinematic portfolios: it's November’s Double Click
- Pentagram rebrands Warner Bros. with a “sleek and clean” update to its shield logo
- Manchester Girls, the new series from Dean Davies, is a visual homage to the women of the north
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Viktor Hübner photographs American anxieties amongst a shifting political environment
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- Berlin Wall graffiti is made into a typeface to warn how "division is freedom's biggest threat"