Now don’t judge me here, but there are few phrases that strike as much fear into my heart as “contemporary dance” which conjures up images of intense, wild-eyed lycra bunnies trying to encapsulate “mendacity.” For two hours. With that in mind anything that can pierce the glazed safety mode the phrase induces is clearly doing something special, so three cheers for Pentagram’s Abbott Millet and his new iPad App Fifth Wall for performing arts magazine 2wice.
Miller worked with choreographer Jonah Bokaer to create something which plays with the parameters and perspectives of the device, and while he may not be the first to harness the iPad in this way, it is certainly one of the most accomplished examples I have come across. By flipping the tablet the viewer can interact with the performance, which was filmed inside a box with the same proportional dimensions as the iPad.
It is great to see such media-speciifc design thinking from a collaboration that is used to pushing boundaries (see a flipbook project 2wice, Pentagram and Jonah created here) and by putting the viewer in control it may help bring this artform even to philistines as cynical as me.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Córdova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner