Press images from events gone by tend to be pretty bland. Not only is the event over but the images documenting it can very rarely convey the level of excitement or fun a place had to offer. That was, until, Secret Cinema put on their spectacular Laura Marling event and actually got the job done properly. Not just properly, magnificently! The top-secret event was held in a beautiful old red brick school in London, decked from the insides out with ivy and old props transforming it into The Grand Eagle Hotel.
Ethereal Marling wandered the halls in a white gown while revellers, dressed in 1920s finery, sipped cocktails and experimented in the countless high-ceilinged rooms with romantic activities such as self portrait drawing, letter writing, secret spilling and dancing to the sound of scratchy old gramophones. As you can see, the photographs still can’t quite get that kind of magic across, but they come mighty close. That one of Laura Marling serenading Willy Mason in a beautiful little bedroom — beautiful! More photos over here.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled