London boasts a plethora of good design events but the POINT conference which takes place in May comes onto the scene with a real heavyweight pedigree. The brainchild of designers Robin Richmond, Tim Fendley and Georgia Fendley, this year’s inaugural event in London brings together 40 speakers plus film screenings and workshops based around the theme “authenticity.”
At its heart is a simple but powerful aim – “to champion the power of design, innovation and creativity, to reflect on the extraordinary creative capital we enjoy in the UK and to make sure we value it, utilise it and protect it for the future.”
And if the inspiring line-up is anything to go by, they are well on the way to realising these admirably lofty ambitions with a stellar list of design greats and innovative thinkers signed up to share their wisdom. From Jonathan Barnbrook to Erik Spiekermann, Morag Myserscough to Seymour Chwast, Lucienne Roberts, Jay Osgerby & Edward Barber, the team behind the Comedy Carpet (Why Not Associates and Gordon Young) and even Milton Glaser via video link from New York, there promises to be no end of thought-provoking ideas and insights.
Tickets are on sale now priced £300 for professionals (rising to £400 in March) and £180 for students. It’s Nice That has ten pairs of tickets to give away for the May 2-3 extravaganza – keep your eyes on our Twitter feed to find out how you can win!
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum