Cycle enthusiasts be warned, there’s a new place in town for you to splurge away your hard-earned salary in a matter of minutes, sedated by the enticing smell of fresh croissants, piping hot coffee and the comforting sound of road-race commentary. Rapha, the most premium of all cycle apparel manufacturers, has just opened a brand new permanent cycle club in London’s Soho and it’s a wonderful place to be.
Designed by Brinkworth, the space shows off a delicate balance between retail environment and café with merchandise spread liberally over the white walls, enticing you all the while to make an essential purchase while you enjoy your morning espresso. Stepping into the space in my commuting lycra and high-performance windbreaker I was greeted by staff and fellow customers alike with the warm embrace of an old friend, welcomed into the bosom of the club to enjoy my breakfast and engross myself in an abundance of cycle literature, having hung my bike in one of many free racks within the shop’s interior.
I left without making a purchase, but I’ll be back, with a debit card in hand and a hunger for warm pastries. I defy you all not to feel the same.
- All we want for Christmas is... Best of the Web!
- A trip to The Greenbrier – a preserved 112,544 sq foot government nuclear bunker
- Dougal Wilson goes behind the scenes of the mischievous Channel 4 idents
- An international cast of creatives chooses the biggest moments of 2017
- Bake Off, legalising weed and Fanta's redesign: highlights from March 2017
- Vogue's new editor and a typeface for pride: a look back at April 2017
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Plain packaging and health warnings on food and drink could cost companies hundreds of billions
- Anxy Magazine: The Workaholism Issue explores the impact of working hard versus working compulsively
- Graphic designer John Morgan launches type foundry and art platform, Abyme