So this week, to mark Blur’s Outstanding Contribution to Music Award at The Brits we asked you to name your favourites from the band’s many and varied and videos. And naturally you rose to the challenge on our Facebook page, coming up with an eclectic list which confirmed what we always knew -It’s Nice That readers have a discerning eye for quality. In fact, we enjoyed the whole process so much that we will probably make this a regular feature, so keep your eyes peeled. On to the top five…
The top choice from our readers, the video for the opening track from 1993’s Modern Life is Rubbish was hailed by Andrew Hatcher as “a little iconography montage of the Blur aesthetic in 1992.”
There were several votes for this which brings together David Shrigley’s brilliance with one of the band’s most underrated (despite the title!) tracks.
Music is my Radar
One of only two Blur songs not to appear on a studio album, Music is My Radar was described as “pure videotainment” by Sean Coleman. The dancers look like they’ve been drummed out of a Daft Punk video for shedding too many garments, which adds to the charm for us .
From the uber popular great Escape album, this Clockwork Orange homage was one of the first major videos directed by Jonathan Glazer, of Karma Police fame.
To The End
David Mould created a pastiche of the 1960s French New Wave film Last Year in Marienbad with Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon pulled into an enigmatic love triangle.
Out of Time
Taken from 2003’s Think Tank it’s an anti-war effort which, rarely for them, does not feature the band in any way.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled