Some people may be already winding down for Christmas but not so Rob Gonzalez and Jonathan Quainton, aka Sawdust. They’ve just updated their site with so much new work that we were genuinely spoiled for choice when it came to selecting what to focus on. Great typographic illustrations for_Men’s Health_,_ Wired and The New Republic didn’t make the cut on this occasion; instead we decided to showcase two very different, but equally excellent, print projects.
For the cover of property magazine &London Rob and Jonathan created a multicoloured typographic cover for which they “developed a typeface that felt constructed and carefully built using different components, much like an architect might design a house or building.” I particularly like the playful “Bye” on the back cover in the same type; turns out those property types turning the city into a super-rich ghetto have a sense of humour after all.
I also like the work on the Shanghai Jiao Tong Top 500 Research Universities which is a potentially quite dry guide to the world’s top academic institutions. Sawdust’s number set and stark geometric illustrations elevate it into something visually very impressive and prove these guys are at the top of their game.
- For Alice Franchetti, graphic design is the sweet spot where maths and intuition meet
- This year’s Birmingham Design Festival explored truth in the design industry
- Designer John Christian Rose on how he turns mess, chaos and clutter into art
- “My creative process is hella eclectic”: illustrator Jack Fletcher
- Jee-ook Choi turns Uniqlo’s AIRism range into a series of ethereal illustrations
- “Nothing should stand still”: Elaine Song on her dynamic, abstract illustrations
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!