Since we last featured their work, the good people of Rotterdam-based Studio Dumbar have been quietly beavering away at what they do best – making some striking and brave graphic design work, this time for Hong Kong Polytechnic University School of Design. Known as PolyU Design, the school recently opened its new Zaha Hadid-designed Jockey Club Innovation Tower building as part of its broader drive to showcase Hong Kong to the world as an Asian design hub and bring in more students, according to Studio Dumbar.
To help realise PolyU Design’s ambitions, Studio Dumbar was brought in to create a new website and posters, resulting in these brilliantly bold works that shout loud and proud about the improvements to the school both on and offline. The posters are in a similar vein to those produced by Vincent Vrints in his time at Studio Dumbar for the ATypI typographic conference in Amsterdam, using popping bright colours and patterning that evokes a now retro-looking idea of the future. On the site, the strange curves of the Studio Dumbar-designed look and feel playfully undulate with the lines of the Zaha Hadid architectural images, creating a dynamic feel wholly appropriate to the school’s more dynamic new outlook.
- “We will fight on the battlefield!”: A day in the office of Studio O.OO
- This is Antwerp: why you'll want to visit Europe's most atypical city
- A glimpse inside FKA twigs’ year-long pole-performance training schedule
- Graphics studio Brest Brest Brest injects some silliness into French cultural institutions
- Enter the saccharine lunacy of Becky and Joe’s idents for Trolli sweets
- AI personality consultant to digital matte painter: The creative jobs you didn’t know existed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!