So, we’re fairly inundated with sporty visuals these days, as all manner of superhero-esque London antics are projected across the globe. But they’ve been absolutely captivating, so here are some more!
Olympian perseverance, in an architectural context, was what inspired these wonderful projects by Japanese architect and designer Naoki Terada. Recognising the vitality that miniature humans give to an architectural model, yet acknowledging that these were often the stressed-out last-minute additions after a series of sleepless nights, he devised a series of pre-prepared sets, appropriate for a variety of building projects. Even without shelter, however, these little paper models – built on a 1/100 scale – conjure up their own environments. The beautifully designed Competitive Swimming , Men’s Gymnastics , and Football sets, with their silhouette, pictogram-style figures and digital-style cut-out numerals, evoke the visual tradition of the Olympics, while the uniform colour of each set allows us to reflect on the formal and negative spaces that operate so effectively.
Just like watching the Games, we can marvel at the persistence, ambition, enthusiasm, fragility, and potential involved. And, we can even have a go at making them ourselves (it’s all about participation, right?). Bravo!
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!