Here’s a little bit of a confession; until last week my copy of Don Quixote was sitting quite nicely on my bookshelf, sandwiched between the other classics, unread, waiting. And then Visual Editions’ new Kickstarter campaign happened, and, let’s just say Don Quixote suddenly got a lot more appealing.
Of course the ever innovative publishers have previous in reimagining and reinterpreting texts, but taking on a behemoth of a book like this is no small task. With Miguel de Cervantes’ novel running to more than 700 pages, this is by far the biggest challenge they have ever set themselves. The aim of the Kickstarter campaign is to send photographer Jacob Robinson on a two week journey in a camper van to La Mancha, Spain, to photograph his own Don Quixote to illustrate the text.
The debate over print’s place in a digitally-defined world can be abstract and rather dull but Visual Editions are among that exciting and thought-provoking band who create work that takes us beyond the theoretical. For this and so many other reasons, we really hope this ambitious project comes off and they’re not left titling at windmills.
- Meet the speakers: Dougal Wilson, Ewen Spencer, GraphicDesign& and Gal-dem
- Claire Hentschker: the artist who recreated The Shining as an interactive 3D space
- Rosanna Webster and Phoebe Henry’s cinematic portrait of Cuba
- Alex Hunting’s crisp editorial designs are considered and multi-layered
- Raine Allen Miller’s latest ad shows kids experiencing the “side effects” of tech toys
- Colin Pantall's warm depiction of childhood and fatherhood taken over 12 years
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner