Showcasing work that responds to the idea of “home” — Art Night will explore emotional and political themes of residency, refuge and security. The event “will offer an artistic exploration of London, celebrating diversity, culture, heritage and architecture”, explains the founders Ksenia Zemtsova and Philippine Nguyen. A group of guides will be on hand across the trail to guide visitors throughout the night, with a dedicated MBNA Thames Clippers boat running a bespoke route until 4 am.
There will also be a range of free, multidisciplinary events: Liv Wynter hosts a series of live performances at the newly reopened Garden Museum. The night includes poetry, rap, music and dance, touching on themes of politics and class, activism and labour, and sexuality and gender. Projected outside the Hayward Gallery, Yuan Goang-Ming’s Dwelling depicts a furnished living room exploding in slow motion; a work that investigates the cultural nuances of ‘home’, ‘dwelling’ and ‘ruins’. In the Embassy Gardens Marketing Suite, Miao Ying will present a virtual reality that invites the audience for a session of ‘lifestyle hypnotism’.
Art Night takes place this Saturday on London’s South Bank 6-6pm.
- Photographer Anne-Sophie Guillet’s stunning portraits challenge gender binaries
- For Jan Horcik, type design and graphic design cannot work without one another
- “Like a little factory making picture books”: The wondrous work of Marie Neurath
- What’s the purpose of prison? This series captures a horse rehabilitation programme in Arizona
- Tina Schwizgebel-Wang’s etchings are filled with detailed scenes of everyday life
- “I want to show that the world is actually very simple”: meet artist Hisami Tanaka
- New study claims to pinpoint the most creative time of day, down to the minute
- Singapore-based studio Swell explores the idea of the banished book
- "My little niece and my grandmother like the game equally": how Playables made the simply addictive Kids
- In being "open to possibilities" still life painter Duane Keiser paints the everyday joys of life
- What the cluck? KFC releases limited-edition bucket hat
- For Bizzarri-Rodriguez, book design “is everything except a science”