Christoph Niemann has created an online visual diary of an expedition to the Arctic for National Geographic, told as an interactive tale with illustration, animation, photography and video alongside handwritten text.
North: An Illustrated Travelogue is a click-through storybook on National Geographic’s website and charts Christoph’s trip to Norway’s Fjords and Arctic Svalbard. Each page of the extensive diary is different: some are a hybrid of photography and illustration, with the illustrator’s recognisable pen drawings, depicting his illustrated self, interacting with photos of the landscape. Others are entirely watercolour painted scenes, beautifully charming and capturing the magic of the sparse area.
Some pages purely feature Christoph’s handwritten notes, or annotated maps, while a few mix hand-drawn animation and video. Using techniques seen in the artist’s Sunday Sketching series, for example the coffee cup seemingly being filled by the Arctic Waterfall, Christoph brings his well-known wit to the travel journal.
North is part of a campaign for National Geographic Expeditions, the travel agency arm of the National Geographic Society that sells tours and guided trips around the world.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled