Design school the Future London Academy has unveiled a redesigned visual identity by Russian agency ONY with consultancy from designer Michael Wolff, co-founder of Wolff Olins. The school offers short courses, talks and workshops with industry leaders, including Michael Wolff, and has rebranded to appear more reflective of its “future-facing” ethos.
“The old branding was very London-y, but not really Future-y,” the design team quips. The update has therefore seen the branding lose its William Morris pattern background and graduated type in place of a bold yellow as its core colour, and more modern bespoke typography. The type was inspired by the architecture of London, the team explains. “One interesting rhythmic feature… was a triangle, that appears in the architecture of the city quite often. Mostly, it is a module structure, as seen with London’s Gherkin building. Connecting geometry of the city with the plastics of the font, the triangle became the first origin of the visual decision.”
“Refraction” was also a theme ONY tapped into for the branding, again apparently referencing London’s architecture. In some still and animated visuals, a transparent prism appears overlaid on the type, refracting the text.
ONY also redesigned the school’s coat of arms, creating a “minimalist” update which maintains the original structure but strips away the traditional details.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice