Artists Ravi Deepres, Sutapa Biswas, James Brunt, Patricia Volk, Mark Titchner, Katrina Russell Adams, Kristina Veasey and James Alec Hardy are set to have their work displayed on the nation’s televisions as part of a new initiative launched by ITV today.
As of 1 January 2019, ITV Creates will see an artist given a week to craft their own take on the ITV ident, which will then be broadcast across the ITV schedule for the following seven days. The scheme has been introduced by ITV Creative, which is, as you’d imagine, the national broadcaster’s in-house creative agency.
“Idents have been around since the dawn of TV and the way they have behaved has changed very little. We wanted to push against the prevailing convention that idents are set, the idea that they are moving wallpaper that lasts 5 or 10 years without changing,” says Tony Pipes, the executive creative director at ITV. Pipes adds, “With this project, we’ve not only given a platform to some of Britain’s best visual artists, but we have also found a way to continually entertain and surprise our viewers. This work reflects ITV as a 21st Century broadcaster, part of the fabric of culture, as an endlessly creative organisation.”
The channel has also announced plans to “dedicate one month of the year to new student talent, offering opportunities to young artists at the very beginning of their careers, by working with universities in different parts of the country to offer art students the opportunity to design the ITV identity during that month.”
Check out a selection of images from forthcoming idents below.
- Caterina Bianchini on her three processes when designing posters
- Friday Mixtape: illustrator pals Jan Buchczik and Timo Lenzen on their studio tunes
- B.A.M's new identity for White Cube is an “evolution rather than a revolution”
- Mosh Pit Simulator, perhaps the craziest VR game yet, launches later this month
- Fantastic Man releases What Men Wear, an anthology of male dressing in the 21st Century
- Interior Lives documents the unassimilated lives of the largest Chinese population outside of Asia
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice