For Kenzo’s SS17 campaign the fashion house has partnered once again with director Kahlil Joseph. Recognised for directing Beyonce’s Lemonade alongside music videos for Arcade Fire, FKA Twigs and Flying Lotus, the director last worked with Kenzo in 2014.
Filmed in Los Angeles, the short film Music Is My Mistress doesn’t make fashion the main focus, portraying a range of black artists and activists. Starring Tracee Ellis Ross and Jesse Williams, the short is accompanied by music from Kelsey Lu and politically charged rap group, Shabazz Palaces. The narrative follows Jesse looking across LA for a woman of “African royalty”. The sun-filled colour footage is interspersed with monochrome segments, alongside short bursts of silence adding to the intensity of the film.
The film puts Kenzo once again at the forefront of fashion films, displaying its current collection in a nonconventional way.
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Curator Andrea Giunta on her new exhibition Radical Women
- LuckyMe’s Lunice film for Apple Music is a theatrical trip through 90s hip hop videos
- Printed Pages AW17 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints, a party and more!
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum