Continuing a tradition of highly satisfying and hypnotic Lurpak ads, director Kim Gehrig has worked with Wieden + Kennedy London to create Smoooth, the latest film campaign from the butter brand. Debuting on TV last night (3 June), the film plays on the “spreadability” of the product by seamlessly gliding from shot to shot, with each quick-fire snippet featuring a left-to-right action from a busy morning routine – for example the wipe of a bathroom mirror, the drop of an egg into a pan, a brush of eyeliner and, of course, the spread of butter on bread.
It represents another feat of intricate filmmaking from the lauded director. Gehrig is known for her hugely successful ad campaign films such as John Lewis’ Man on the Moon and the empowering This Girl Can films for Sport England. She is supported by Somesuch, and worked with Time Based Arts on the VFX and Twenty Below on the sound, which plays a huge part in the success of this and other preceding Lurpak ads.
Carlos Alija and Laura Sampedro, creative directors at W+K London, commented: "Every Lurpak ad is a considered building block of an iconic brand, so the challenge was conveying such a specific new benefit [to the product] in a way that felt true to its values. We thought making viewers experience the flow of a perfectly smooth and continuous butter spread could be both satisfying and epic.”
Watch Gehrig’s talk from It’s Nice That’s symposium Here 2016 here.
- Artist Danny Fox on his new book, A Cut Above The Eye
- Unit Editions’ study of Letraset takes on a new form in this Sheffield exhibition
- Thomas Traum directs Kenzo’s latest video set in a Rousseau-inspired haven
- Artist Yuko Mohri creates improvised ecosystems through found objects
- The Red Road Project is a celebration of Native American cultures
- Myth-busting: Split's Oli Bentley on interrogating northern identity through typography
- An interview with Pentagram's latest partner, Astrid Stavro
- Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records documents the origins of Jamaican and British youth culture
- Record Label Logo Archive Vol.1 is a music nerd's dream come true
- Banksy's million pound painting shreds itself, wider world shrugs
- Welcome to World Mental Health Day 2018 on It's Nice That
- The internet responds to Banksy’s self-destructive act of art