Continuing a tradition of highly satisfying and hypnotic Lurpak ads, director Kim Gehrig has worked with Wieden + Kennedy London to create Smoooth, the latest film campaign from the butter brand. Debuting on TV last night (3 June), the film plays on the “spreadability” of the product by seamlessly gliding from shot to shot, with each quick-fire snippet featuring a left-to-right action from a busy morning routine – for example the wipe of a bathroom mirror, the drop of an egg into a pan, a brush of eyeliner and, of course, the spread of butter on bread.
It represents another feat of intricate filmmaking from the lauded director. Gehrig is known for her hugely successful ad campaign films such as John Lewis’ Man on the Moon and the empowering This Girl Can films for Sport England. She is supported by Somesuch, and worked with Time Based Arts on the VFX and Twenty Below on the sound, which plays a huge part in the success of this and other preceding Lurpak ads.
Carlos Alija and Laura Sampedro, creative directors at W+K London, commented: "Every Lurpak ad is a considered building block of an iconic brand, so the challenge was conveying such a specific new benefit [to the product] in a way that felt true to its values. We thought making viewers experience the flow of a perfectly smooth and continuous butter spread could be both satisfying and epic.”
Watch Gehrig’s talk from It’s Nice That’s symposium Here 2016 here.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!