Newcastle alt-pop band Maximo Park have released a new video for their single, Get High (No, I Don’t).
The video is by directorial duo James & James and stars artistic director of Southpaw Dance Company, Robby Graham. “The idea for Get High (No, I Don’t) had been bubbling under the surface for a while,” says the duo. “We’d talked a bunch about theatrical lighting and some kind of dogma style set shoot for a while, too.”
The video sees Robby repeatedly perform a dance that plays out a day-to-day routine, gradually getting more aggravated, before he can fall back into bed again. “When this track landed the rest of the creative quickly clicked. It took about 30 minutes from hearing Get High to having worked up the simple creative of a person rebelling against the structures of society – all choreographed.” James & James has also shared a collection of behind the scenes photographs of the video shoot with It’s Nice That.
The video follows Maximo Park’s previous single, Risk to Existwhere all proceeds from the sale were donated to Migrant Offshore Aid Station. Their politically charged album of the same name will be released 21 April.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled