Pentagram’s Michael Bierut has designed a new typographically driven identity for The Skirball Center for Performing Arts at New York University. Situated in NYU’s campus, the cultural centre hosts dance, theatre, music film and performance art; the identity’s design direction “reflects the intellectual counterculture traditions in the historically Bohemian Village,” Pentagram explains.
The new identity for The Skirball Center also welcomes the venue’s new senior director, Jay Wegman, who envisions the centre "as a place ’where uptown meets downtown,’ that serves both the NYU community and New York at large, and makes the most of NYU’s global connections to present adventurous programming from around the world,” says Pentagram.
Taking note of the mix between uptown and downtown the Manhattan-based venue inhabits, Michael Bierut’s team at Pentagram and art director Naomi Abel “mined the rich graphic heritage of downtown New York — gig posters, zines, handmade flyers — to evoke the days when Washington Square was the providing ground for a revolutionary American avant-garde.”
The identity uses two weights of New York-based foundry Commercial Type’s Druk, “selected for their audacious personality,” explains Pentagram. The attention grabbing branding is also presented boldly across NYU’s campus “with a bit of downtown anarchy,” an approach which continues throughout The Skirball Centre’s printed ephemera, including the season brochure, printed on an “impromptu", zine-like newsprint.”
- Miranda July’s latest work is a high-tech portrait of the Uber driver who took her to interview Rihanna
- Léa Augereau's figurative paintings feature a diverse range of strong and confident women
- Artist Adam Ferriss' photography filters are better than any on Snapchat
- Graphic designer Jaap Smit physicalises the web in his data-driven practice
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Photographer Louise Reinke's latest shoot is inspired by the legendary Dionne Warwick
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham
- Greg Sharp animates a video that builds in momentum for the catchiest song of the year