Pentagram’s Michael Bierut has designed a new typographically driven identity for The Skirball Center for Performing Arts at New York University. Situated in NYU’s campus, the cultural centre hosts dance, theatre, music film and performance art; the identity’s design direction “reflects the intellectual counterculture traditions in the historically Bohemian Village,” Pentagram explains.
The new identity for The Skirball Center also welcomes the venue’s new senior director, Jay Wegman, who envisions the centre "as a place ’where uptown meets downtown,’ that serves both the NYU community and New York at large, and makes the most of NYU’s global connections to present adventurous programming from around the world,” says Pentagram.
Taking note of the mix between uptown and downtown the Manhattan-based venue inhabits, Michael Bierut’s team at Pentagram and art director Naomi Abel “mined the rich graphic heritage of downtown New York — gig posters, zines, handmade flyers — to evoke the days when Washington Square was the providing ground for a revolutionary American avant-garde.”
The identity uses two weights of New York-based foundry Commercial Type’s Druk, “selected for their audacious personality,” explains Pentagram. The attention grabbing branding is also presented boldly across NYU’s campus “with a bit of downtown anarchy,” an approach which continues throughout The Skirball Centre’s printed ephemera, including the season brochure, printed on an “impromptu", zine-like newsprint.”
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice