New York magazine is 50 this year, and to celebrate, the publication has announced the release of a series of 50 covers.
Eight of the covers, created by Mel Bochner, John Giorno, Alex Katz, Barbara Kruger, Marilyn Minter, Yoko Ono, Rob Pruitt, and Hank Willis Thomas, went up on walls around 25 locations across the city’s five boroughs.
The full list of 50 artists is, for now, undisclosed, although the magazine has revealed that Maurizio Cattelan, Kerry James Marshall, Rirkrit Tiravanija, Will Cotton, and Nina Chanel Abney are among the participating artists. In Autumn, the 50 designs will be shown at an exhibition.
The eight covers showcase new work made for the publication. Many of the covers are dominated by text. Hank Willis Thomas’ all-black cover is highlighted by white text reading “ALL LI ES MATTER” in white upper case lettering. Yoko Ono’s cover is strikingly sparse, all white bearing three simple words of text: “Whisper to me”. Rob Pruitt has made use of a more contemporary alphabet than his peers, taking Milton Glaser’s “I ♥ NY” and changing it into emojis displayed on an iPhone.
- We take a look back at the best stories of the year to date
- Atelier Brenda and Amélie Bakker create “squidgy” identity for Beursschouwburg
- Thomas Pratt photographs the effects of religion, natural disaster and globalisation on an island community
- Viacheslav Poliakov shoots the “folk-baroque-industrial mess” of Ukraine and Poland
- “Even bad pizza is kind of good”: Five life lessons from David Droga
- Join Cachetejack and Dropbox for a collaborative workshop at OFFF Barcelona
- Netflix moots move into print with new publication, Wide
- “Allowing a modern audience to see Helvetica for the first time”: Charles Nix talks us through the newly released Helvetica Now
- Dating app Hinge gets a makeover, asks users to use it less
- The most relaxing colour in the world? Dark blue apparently
- By You: Nike's customisable range gets a new name, and a new look
- Rejane Dal Bello on using graphic design to talk about hard topics in a joyful way