Nike has revealed the new Netherlands Women’s National Team kit will feature a lioness instead of lion, changing the royal crest for the first time in 46 years. Part of a project by Wieden+Kennedy Amsterdam together with the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB), the change represents the team’s nickname as the Oranje Leeuwinnen (Orange Lionesses).
W+K hopes this will help drive women’s sports participation: “This is an idea that is so much bigger than just a campaign or logo update,” says Hannah Smit, art director at W+K Amsterdam. “It’s an idea that will endure and a strong statement that will help to continue to accelerate the growing momentum around women’s football. It’s a message that gives female players something of their own to rally behind.”
Nike says the transformation aims to inspire a new generation of players to “wear what you are”.
The crest will debut at the UEFA Women’s Euro 2017 tournament’s opening game, the Netherlands vs Norway, on 16 July. An online film They Call Us Leeuwinnen explains the rationale behind the crest’s transformation.
- “I’ve landed on my planet now”: Sebaldo on refining his bonkers animated characters
- Syncope by Virgile Flores explores the duality between graphic design and music
- Louise Daneels makes playful, ceramic illustrations of everyday objects
- Maroesjka Lavigne’s debut monograph captures unforgettable landscapes and their inhabitants
- Painter Igor Moritz's vivid paintings express the colours of inner life
- Meet Take Care, a magazine tackling the UK’s housing crisis
- Turning her lens to those around her, Danna Singer reveals the story of a working class community
- Kyle Berger’s Photoshopped images exist in “a post-truth timeline”
- The climate crisis is daunting, but as a creative professional, there’s much you can do
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- “My creativity is sparked by music and architecture”: meet graphic designer Stephanie Specht
- Adventure Time’s finale nominated for Emmy, alongside BoJack and Big Mouth