There are a few combinations out there that probably shouldn’t work but really, really do. Eating a Mars Bar immediately after scoffing a bag of cheese and onion crisps, for example. Going for a brisk swim after downing two pints, is another. Strawberries and basil, prosciutto and melon. To that list we can add, as of today, “pairing Animal Collective member Panda Bear with UK underground music prankster prince Dean Blunt.”
The former Hype Williams singer has been given free visual reign on the video that accompanies the first single taken from Panda Bear’s upcoming and hotly-anticipated new LP, Buoys.
The video for Token sees a slightly confused seeming Dean ambling around a sort of gloriously dismal funfair that we do so well here in the UK. He lobs balls at goalies in an attempt to get his hands on a Henry hoover, looks underwhelmed in a house of mirrors and watches a few wonderful naff drones fluttering about. You can almost smell that magic combination of chip fat, doughnut grease, and burger sweat rolling through your laptop. Heaven!
Panda Bear’s Buoys will be released by Domino on 8 February.
- For Alice Franchetti, graphic design is the sweet spot where maths and intuition meet
- This year’s Birmingham Design Festival explored truth in the design industry
- Designer John Christian Rose on how he turns mess, chaos and clutter into art
- “My creative process is hella eclectic”: illustrator Jack Fletcher
- Jee-ook Choi turns Uniqlo’s AIRism range into a series of ethereal illustrations
- “Nothing should stand still”: Elaine Song on her dynamic, abstract illustrations
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!