A particularly covetable set of awards were doled out at the very tail end of last week at the Royal Designers for Industry awards. Founded in 1936, the RDI as it’s snappily known, was started by the Royal Society of Arts to, in their words, “give recognition to outstanding designers and to promote the important contribution of design in manufacturing and industry.” This year’s deserved recipients included It’s Nice That favourites Es Devlin, Scottish illustrator Marion Deuchars and your favourite super-technical chef’s favourite super-technical chef, Ferran Adria.
To that end, set-design-supremo Es rounded off another high profile year with a well-deserved gong. Marion joins the elite list of RDI-holders thanks to books like the best-selling Let’s Make Some Great Art, and the trio of award winners was rounded off by Ben Terrett, founder of public sector digital agency, Public Digital. Ben also spent the bulk of his time between 2015 and 2017 helping the Co-Op with its rebrand.
In addition to the UK-based winners, internationally focused nods went to a pair of architects — the Australian Glenn Murcutt, and Japan’s Shigeru Ban — and the aforementioned chef.
They join a list of creatives including Quentin Blake and Jonny Ive, who have all "provided substantial contribution for rethinking design for positive social, economic and environmental impact.”
Why not start the week by toasting Marion’s success by watching her Nicer Tuesdays talk from earlier this year?
- For Ginko Yang “drawing creates the same effects as a mental massage”
- Pop culture powerhouse Bryan Rivera's 2018 in graphic design
- Don't worry, be angry: how politics and creativity collided in 2018
- Maurice Andresen is reimagining Glasgow’s non-spaces as an ethereal world
- Vice magazine's creative team talks us through its new and unexpectedly different redesign
- Julia Falkner and Lorena Hydeman document boys playing with gender for the first time
- DIA channels NYC and gives Squarespace its signature kinetic treatment in brand refresh
- Laughing at the world of graphic design with Tracy Ma
- Pantone's Colour of the Year 2019 has been announced and it's... Living Coral!
- Alex Gamsu Jenkins’ comics remind us of how gross we really are
- The animated short giving Isle of Dogs a run for its money
- Caleb Halter's instinctual design practice produces considered and refined work