A particularly covetable set of awards were doled out at the very tail end of last week at the Royal Designers for Industry awards. Founded in 1936, the RDI as it’s snappily known, was started by the Royal Society of Arts to, in their words, “give recognition to outstanding designers and to promote the important contribution of design in manufacturing and industry.” This year’s deserved recipients included It’s Nice That favourites Es Devlin, Scottish illustrator Marion Deuchars and your favourite super-technical chef’s favourite super-technical chef, Ferran Adria.
To that end, set-design-supremo Es rounded off another high profile year with a well-deserved gong. Marion joins the elite list of RDI-holders thanks to books like the best-selling Let’s Make Some Great Art, and the trio of award winners was rounded off by Ben Terrett, founder of public sector digital agency, Public Digital. Ben also spent the bulk of his time between 2015 and 2017 helping the Co-Op with its rebrand.
In addition to the UK-based winners, internationally focused nods went to a pair of architects — the Australian Glenn Murcutt, and Japan’s Shigeru Ban — and the aforementioned chef.
They join a list of creatives including Quentin Blake and Jonny Ive, who have all "provided substantial contribution for rethinking design for positive social, economic and environmental impact.”
Why not start the week by toasting Marion’s success by watching her Nicer Tuesdays talk from earlier this year?
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping