As part of their sponsorship of the US Open, American bank Chase have worked with agency Droga5 on a new campaign starring seven-time Wimbledon winner Serena Williams.
The short film sees Serena, who became a mother in September 2017, hopping from nursery to her usual practice court stomping ground, reciting the lyrics to LL Cool J’s Mama Said Knock You Out.
The tennis ace was chosen as the face of the campaign as proof that that motherhood isn’t something to “come back” from.
“Last year, of course, Serena became a mother, and her return to tennis ignited a dialogue about what it takes to be a mother and a champion. Across her social media, she’s been incredibly open about the challenges of that motherhood, and this has inspired and given strength to women everywhere,” says Duncan Marshall, the founding partner of Droga5.
When asked by It’s Nice That why he and the Droga5 team believe that Serena embodies the way vulnerabilities can be made positive, he says, “Using her platform to normalize motherhood and everything that comes with it, Serena’s taken real pride in the fact that it’s made her both more vulnerable and stronger. And she’s showing the world that motherhood isn’t something to ‘come back’ from, either. It’s a part of life that moms in all stages draw strength and motivation from.”
Watch the clip in full below.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!