The official trailer for Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami, a music film and documentary about the cultural icon directed by Sophie Fiennes, has been unveiled. To be released in cinemas on 27 October 2017, the feature length film promises to “reinvent the music film” combining musical sequences and performances with documentary-style personal footage.
Film director, producer and editor Sophie Fiennes, sister to actors Joseph and Ralph Fiennes, aims to channel Grace’s renowned bold aesthetic through a “powerful cinematic experience” that aims to “go behind the mask”. According to the studio, the film’s name is derived from Jamaican Patois: Bloodlight being the red light that illuminates when an artist is recording, and Bami meaning bread, “the substance of daily life”.
Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami is produced by Katie Holly of Blinder Films, with Sophie, Shani Hinton and Beverly Jones, and is backed by BBC Films, the BFI, the Irish Film Board and Roads Entertainment. Francesca Von Hapsburg, who worked on Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present is executive producer. The staging for the performance sequences are based on the concepts designed for Grace by the late Eiko Isioka. A one-off event on 25 October will also see Grace Jones discuss her work ahead of a preview screening of the film.
- Photographer Timothy Schaumburg takes us behind the scenes of plastic surgery prep
- The Line King: A profile of Al Hirschfeld, on the prolific characterist’s 115th birthday
- Ditto publish 100 Club Stories in celebration of the iconic London venue
- Adobe Stock identifies 'multilocalism' as the next trend to shape visual culture
- “I want my work to function like a good book": illustrator Charlotte Ager
- "Even if you cover a shit in glitter it’s still a shit": top creatives show us their CVs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Neville Brody launches type foundry, Brody Fonts