Attention Ghibli fans: Studio Ponoc, the new animation house from the Japanese animation studio’s former producer and director, Yoshiaki Nishimura and Hiromasa Yonebayashi, has released the English language trailer for its first film.
Mary and the Witch’s Flower is based on children’s book The Little Broomstick, written by Mary Stewart and published in 1971. The trailer features a young girl Mary making an ill-advised trip into the woods and picking a flower with special powers, which leads Mary on a journey to a witches school – by broomstick, naturally. Once at the school, Mary uncovers some unexpected and unsavoury goings-on led by the teachers.
Yoshiaki Nishimura and Hiromasa Yonebayashi were nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar in 2016 for Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There. Yoshiaki was also nominated for the 2014 Oscars for Ghibli’s The Tale of Princess Kaguya; while Hiromasa directed The Secret World of Arrietty.
Mary and the Witch’s Flower English language version features Kate Winslet as a teacher, Ruby Barnhill of BFG fame as Mary, and Jim Broadbent apparently as an evil scientist. The film was released in Japan on 8 July 2017, and will be out in cinemas in the UK in 2018.
- Brr it’s cold in here, it must be Best of the Web in the atmosphere!
- Is it real, or is it not? Mirror Mirror's identity for Integrated 2017
- Alex Moy’s animation explores where our minds drift off to when we’re distracted
- Friday Mixtape: Jake Chapman’s band, Funhole
- Islena Neira’s halftone animation depicts a sleepless night
- Hezin O’s charmingly illustrated 2018 calendar inspired by A-Z cards for children
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Renowned graphic designer Ivan Chermayeff has died aged 85
- Marina Lewandowska’s graduation project shows graphic design flair and function
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Photographer Ivar Wigan on his new collaboration with larrydavid420
- Loud, vibrant, evocative: Paul Gorman tells The Story of The Face