Attention Ghibli fans: Studio Ponoc, the new animation house from the Japanese animation studio’s former producer and director, Yoshiaki Nishimura and Hiromasa Yonebayashi, has released the English language trailer for its first film.
Mary and the Witch’s Flower is based on children’s book The Little Broomstick, written by Mary Stewart and published in 1971. The trailer features a young girl Mary making an ill-advised trip into the woods and picking a flower with special powers, which leads Mary on a journey to a witches school – by broomstick, naturally. Once at the school, Mary uncovers some unexpected and unsavoury goings-on led by the teachers.
Yoshiaki Nishimura and Hiromasa Yonebayashi were nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar in 2016 for Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There. Yoshiaki was also nominated for the 2014 Oscars for Ghibli’s The Tale of Princess Kaguya; while Hiromasa directed The Secret World of Arrietty.
Mary and the Witch’s Flower English language version features Kate Winslet as a teacher, Ruby Barnhill of BFG fame as Mary, and Jim Broadbent apparently as an evil scientist. The film was released in Japan on 8 July 2017, and will be out in cinemas in the UK in 2018.
- Will Anderson on his Bafta-nominated animation, Have Heart
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Friday Mixtape: Thomas Pratt curates a mix for a night out in the Bahamas
- The spontaneous, saturated and energetic portfolio of photographer Anton Gottlob
- Alexander Mourant's photographs trace a road-trip he took down the length of Africa
- Video artist Natalia Stuyk on crossing from the digital to the physical world
- Google Creative Lab's animated series tells the story of iPhone users who tried the Pixel 2
- Photographer Michael Northrup’s striking new book is a visual timeline of a former relationship
- The Scouts rebrand aims to reflect a “more relevant image of Scouting”
- "Something bold, something pure" – the 50-year long legacy of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Yishu Wang's wonderfully disorientating photography
- Airbnb launches new bespoke font Cereal, designed with Dalton Maag for online and offline fluidity