The Guardian has published its university guide for 2018, accompanied by illustrations by Adam Avery, animated by Simon Roberts. The league table ranks UK universities overall and based on 54 subject areas, and can be filtered by a specific course, region and institution.
It is based on a Guardian score out of 100, a rating based on a combination of criteria – are also listed separately – including satisfaction with course, teaching and feedback, student to staff ratio, spend per student, average entry tariff, value added and whether students have a career after six months.
Dundee tops the list for design and crafts, followed by Loughborough, Goldsmiths and Kent (joint third), Leeds College of Art, Portsmouth, Leeds, Kingston, Northumbria and Manchester Met.
The top ten for art in ranking order is UCL, Newcastle, Oxford, Oxford Brookes, Leeds, Goldsmiths and Kingston (joint sixth), Nottingham Trent, Northampton and Aberystwyth.
For film production and photography, the top ten is Coventry, Middlesex, Glasgow, Bristol, Reading, UWE Bristol, University for the Creative Arts (in Farnham), Edinburgh Napier, York and Royal Holloway.
Loughborough is top for fashion and textiles followed by Kingston, Dundee, Manchester Met, Falmouth, University for the Creative Arts, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth, Staffordshire and University of the Arts London.
Read the full guide here.
- Illustrator Ben Kopp’s nostalgia-drenched personal work
- Iggy Ldn's poignant new film Silk reclaims the essence of the jazz era in the 21st century
- Ways of Seeing: Laurie Rowan fills FACT's architectural space with a troop of exploring characters
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a journey to "surf discovery" even though he's terrible at surfing
- Photographer Sam Gregg shoots the true face of Naples
- Prolific artist Miroco Machiko’s animal menagerie
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London