The Guardian has published its university guide for 2018, accompanied by illustrations by Adam Avery, animated by Simon Roberts. The league table ranks UK universities overall and based on 54 subject areas, and can be filtered by a specific course, region and institution.
It is based on a Guardian score out of 100, a rating based on a combination of criteria – are also listed separately – including satisfaction with course, teaching and feedback, student to staff ratio, spend per student, average entry tariff, value added and whether students have a career after six months.
Dundee tops the list for design and crafts, followed by Loughborough, Goldsmiths and Kent (joint third), Leeds College of Art, Portsmouth, Leeds, Kingston, Northumbria and Manchester Met.
The top ten for art in ranking order is UCL, Newcastle, Oxford, Oxford Brookes, Leeds, Goldsmiths and Kingston (joint sixth), Nottingham Trent, Northampton and Aberystwyth.
For film production and photography, the top ten is Coventry, Middlesex, Glasgow, Bristol, Reading, UWE Bristol, University for the Creative Arts (in Farnham), Edinburgh Napier, York and Royal Holloway.
Loughborough is top for fashion and textiles followed by Kingston, Dundee, Manchester Met, Falmouth, University for the Creative Arts, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth, Staffordshire and University of the Arts London.
Read the full guide here.
- Paul Sahre chats to us about his new book Two Dimensional Man: A Graphic Memoir
- How can we connect young, diverse talent with the agencies who crave it?
- Ricky Leung’s illustrations capture the quiet moments of everyday life
- Photographer Chris Maggio palpably documents America’s current “emotional climate"
- Seoul-based Shrimp Chung’s dynamic designs are bright and full of impact
- Choreographer and director Holly Blakey on making work for everyone
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity