Y&R North America has worked with the United States Navy to create a new brand identity, creative campaign and tagline – “Forged by the Sea”. The agency was tasked with a brief to define and build awareness of the Navy’s brand, and “evolve perception of its purpose”, while also reaching Gen Z recruits and showcase its career opportunities.
Research by the agency found that while there’s nearly universal awareness of the Navy as a brand, there’s very little understanding of its actual mission, reach and influence. The campaign therefore uses impactful and dramatic film and photographic material as its basis, which Y&R says differentiates it from other military branches and companies “including the power, mystique and magic of the sea”.
This material is overlaid with bold, capitalised, eye-catching type, stating short and punchy phrases, for example “From the depths, we are forged” and “One nation, under our watch”. Others seem less aimed at recruits than at the wider American public, such as “There when you need us most” and “Ensuring liberty and justice for all”. Each features the logo and new tagline, which Y&R says is a double entendre in that the Navy itself is forged by the sea, as are its individuals.
The campaign film was launched during the Army-Navy Game on 9 December, a long-running, televised college football game.
- Photographer Timothy Schaumburg takes us behind the scenes of plastic surgery prep
- The Line King: A profile of Al Hirschfeld, on the prolific characterist’s 115th birthday
- Ditto publish 100 Club Stories in celebration of the iconic London venue
- Adobe Stock identifies 'multilocalism' as the next trend to shape visual culture
- “I want my work to function like a good book": illustrator Charlotte Ager
- "Even if you cover a shit in glitter it’s still a shit": top creatives show us their CVs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Neville Brody launches type foundry, Brody Fonts