In a few weeks, Vintage Festival will be underway in Oxfordshire and its founder, Wayne Hemingway, will be presenting for purchase and perusal, an epic cross-section of fashion from the last century. No stranger to bold design initiatives, Wayne is the chair of Building for Life and founder of Red or Dead and HemingwayDesign and, if his accomplishments were not enough already, he’s only gone and contributed to our weekly Bookshelf…
Graham Smith: We Can Be Heroes London Clubland 1976 –1984
This book reminds me why I moved to London in 1979. I had watched punk form and blossom in London and, as soon as I was old enough, I packed my bags and experienced the wonderful club culture from Le Beat Route through the Blitz Club to The Wag. This was creative London at its most vibrant and set the scene for why London is revered for its cool, all around the world… so much of this book will be at Vintage from fashion to DJs and lots of the imagery will be on display at the event.
Marcus Livingstone: Peter Blake: One Man Show
Peter Blake… what an artist, what a man. A big supporter of the Vintage Festival. We share an aesthetic for spotting the extraordinary in the ordinary and we are celebrating his 80th at Vintage – come and meet this most wonderful of human beings.
Graeme Kent: A Pictorial History of Wrestling
My dad was a wrestler… say no more.
Stephen Colegrave and Chris Sullivan: Punk
Punk was the biggest artistic influence on my career. It proved that you didn’t need training, anyone could have a go, and I did. I remember going to see The damned at The Russell Club in Moss Side Manchester when I was 16… that was it!!
Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett: The Spirit Level
For over a decade at HemingwayDesign we have been championing the idea that “trust”” and “community” were the most important thing to think about when building housing estates. This book proved that all our “shouting” was worth continuing with.
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Leon Mark’s refined and infinitely stylish photography
- Sophie Harris-Taylor shares anecdotes and insights from her photo series, Sisters
- Designer Anatole Couteau's technical approach lets him communicate simply and precisely
- A peek inside Hicham Amrani's trippy new comic Svend & Xanax
- Friday Mixtape: The Orielles mix for "good times with good people"
- Pentagram rebrands Battersea dogs and cats home to visualise "personality over sentiment"
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers
- ManvsMachine create its most ambitious campaign for Air Max Day yet
- V&A announces shortlist for its Illustration Awards 2018
- Ten examples of rare letterings, from 19th-century alphabets to preliminary drawings of Futura
- Bad week for art world as Jeff Koons piece is smashed and imitation Happy Meal thrown away