It’s a bit of a creative dream team that’s realised the new Channel 4 brand, with 4Creative working alongside Neville Brody and director Jonathan Glazer, as well as agency DBLG. The project sees the “deconstruction” of Lambie Nairn’s classic “4” brand mark, which has remained in its current form for more than a decade.
Neville created two new bespoke typefaces for the channel – Horseferry and Chadwick – which are used for display and information text respectively. The new designs are used on on-screen graphics including stings, menus and programme titles, as well as off-screen posters and other collateral. The redesigned graphics are accompanied with newly commissioned ident music from Micachu and the Shapes’ Mica Levi, who worked with Jonathan Glazer on his film Under the Skin.“Most TV branding these days is like watching wallpaper. It’s pleasant but gets boring very quickly,” say 4Creative heads Chris Bovill and John Allison. “We started with the original, iconic Lambie Nairn 4 logo and broke it down into its constituent parts; the nine blocks. The blocks represent Channel 4’s incredibly diverse qualities. The blocks are free to demonstrate our remit; to be irreverent, innovative, alternative and challenging. They are free to flow through everything on the channel: our typeface, on-screen menus, on-screen graphics, off-air logo, Channel 4 News, Channel 4 Racing, all the way through to the idents.”
They add: “The idents present the blocks as kryptonite-like. They tell the story of their origin and how they have a powerful impact on the world around them. Just as Channel 4 does. It is a story that we shall build on.”
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice