Split between New York and London, Department International are the kind of design team the internet was invented for. Bobby Singh and Brian Okarski are a pair of freelance designers who’ve worked for the likes of Nike, Wieden+Kennedy and BMW in their personal commercial practices, but together make wilfully experimental work that blurs graphic design, web art, photography and fashion into one seriously weird but beautifully striking hybrid.
Their Tumblr in particular is packed with proposals for posters, redesigns of men’s magazines and naturally (this is Tumblr after all) no small amount of nudity. More please gentlemen, we love what you’re doing!
- Lucia Sekerkova documents the rituals of Romania’s social media savvy witches
- Charlie Roberts' paintings are inspired by hip-hop culture, sports and screenplays
- In Whispering Blooms Jack Orton documents the eerie perfection of the town of Poundbury
- Studio Nuno Fontes on its clean and ordered work for the cultural sector
- Darren Shaddick illustrates his version of “the ultimate cool person”
- Team Thursday's Bookshelf is full of souvenirs, zines and exhibition catalogues
- Pornhub decides to try out beesexuality with new awareness campaign
- “The time just feels right”: Stuart Brumfitt and Mirko Borsche, editor and designer of The Face, on its relaunch
- The Washington Post's climate change issue features 24 equally important covers
- Philip Gerald's lowbrow, crude paintings are a reflection of his views on the art world
- We take a look back at the best stories of the year to date
- The US government releases its first bespoke typeface: Public Sans