Last week we were delighted to unveil First Broadcast, our brand new dedicated video channel where you’ll be able to find both videos filmed at our events as well as specially-commissioned content. The first of these new series is Between The Lines, where we visited the studios of some of our favourite publications in an attempt to see how these places, and their personalities, inform the way they work. This week we’ll be presenting these first five videos one a day, kicking off with creative powerhouse Tony Brook of Unit Editions and Spin.
Unit Editions (which Tony runs with Adrian Shaughnessy) has a peerless reputation for publishing intelligent and great looking design tomes, either based around a single creative genius (like Ken Garland or Herb Lubalin) or a particular theme (recently the book on type-centred poster design).
Tony took some time out from his hectic schedule to sit down with us in his south London studio and give us an insight into how and where Unit Editions works.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled