Although the Salone Internazionale Del Mobile seems like a distant memory now, we’re still reeling from the quality of work we managed to see while out there. As ever Heineken made their presence felt on the nightlife of Milan, pushing the boundaries with their innovative entertainment spaces. In 2012 they were focused on creating the ultimate club, but 2013 has seen them exploring the lounge bar of the future at Milan’s Magazzini, creating a brand new environment for revellers to drink, dance and generally let their hair down.
To realise their dreams they enlisted the help of Matt W. Moore and a host of other collaborators, splashing Matt’s trademark geometric creations across walls, floors, futuristic clothing for waiters and waitresses and even their signature aluminium bottles. Matt’s designs were optimised for a UV-heavy environment with the addition of ultra-violet inks that lit up the space in all sorts of surprising ways.
Aside from the visual spectacles on display, Heineken used the space to serve as a pop-up think tank for ideas and innovations for the coming months, inviting artists and designers to participate in talks and workshops hosted by the likes of Pecha Kucha, Cool Hunting and Snarkitecture. Expect to see their new ideas and discoveries rolled out in international venues as the year progresses!
You can visit the Heineken Tumblr to influence the design of the lounge bar of the future, where designers from New York, Mexico City, Warsaw and Singapore can also submit their portfolios for the chance to create it.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled