The Sound Word Index might just be the best idea you’ll hear about all week, nay, month. It has been brilliantly realised by two Royal College of Art grads, Blanche de Lasa and Stina Gromark, in an easily navigable site with the familiar, communication-happy graphics of a trusty dictionary. But this is no Queen’s English, “aardvark” to “zyzzyva” affair. This is the ultimate reference for a new onomatopoeic and emotive vocabulary that infuses our digital messages with “an expressive and resonating language.”
I.e. “bOooOring” – “Really annoying or really boring FOR EXAMPLE ‘Stop looking at Facebook, it’s bOooOring’.” These sonic synonyms are understood by Rhythm (“in which the meaning is emphasised by the repetition of letters, syllables, words, or interjections”), Sound (in which the spelling directly translates the way the word would be said aloud. They can be interjections, written demonstrations of an accent, or a way of writing slang expressions"), and Volume (“in which their spelling characteristics convey the intensity of their sound through their typographical forms”). As well as the literal sound-word translations, there is a particularly emoticon index that sensitively scales the nuances of a smiley face from “big realisation” to “hesitating really a lot.”
To top it all, your own word might be submitted so each texter/emailer who holds their own unique emotional vernacular, might share their language with the wide (web) world. Bleeeeurgh.
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping