In 2006 comedians Owen Powell and Alex Horne set themselves the gruelling task of finding and meeting a citizen from every country in the world currently living and working in London. At the time there were 192 countries officially recognised by the UN – sadly Owen and Alex failed in their task (only by a margin of three) but helped prove to the world that London is one of the most culturally diverse cities out there.
Six years later the number of UN recognised countries stands at an intimidating 204 and there are still people trying to prove that each nationality has a representative in London. This time however the task is being placed in an artistic context rather than a comedic one with The Photographers Gallery inviting 204 different photographers to capture an individual from each nation. Excitingly they’ve now managed to find a Londoner from almost every country in the world (presumably some Tuvaluans have emigrated since Alex and Owen tried to find them) and the portraits are on display in central London until the end of the month, alongside narratives about each of the people photographed. If you’re not London -ased then you can still check out the portraits online using the link below (although based on recent discoveries it looks like everyone lives in London these days).
- All we want for Christmas is... Best of the Web!
- A trip to The Greenbrier – a preserved 112,544 sq foot government nuclear bunker
- Dougal Wilson goes behind the scenes of the mischievous Channel 4 idents
- An international cast of creatives chooses the biggest moments of 2017
- Bake Off, legalising weed and Fanta's redesign: highlights from March 2017
- Vogue's new editor and a typeface for pride: a look back at April 2017
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Plain packaging and health warnings on food and drink could cost companies hundreds of billions
- Anxy Magazine: The Workaholism Issue explores the impact of working hard versus working compulsively
- Graphic designer John Morgan launches type foundry and art platform, Abyme