Edgar Wright has directed Beck’s latest video for album title track, Colors. Starring Beck and actress Alison Brie, the short is a fully choreographed video, with dance routines designed by Ryan Heffington.
The video matches the colour palette featured on Beck’s Colors record sleeve, as the dancers’ outfits and the backdrop repeatedly switch between yellow and blue. Cropping up between the group is Beck and Alison dressed in white, edited to appear monochrome among the cast of vibrant dancers. Seamlessly edited, the backdrops switch consistently while both Beck and Alison mime along, interspersed with the choreographed dance moves kaleidoscopically altering throughout the short.
The music video is one of many Edgar has directed alongside his feature film and television successes including 2017’s Baby Driver, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Shaun of the Dead. It’s the director’s first music video since Pharrell Williams ft Daft Punk’s Gust of Wind in 2014.
The Colors video also follows a string of creative shorts released throughout Beck’s album campaign since its release in 2017. Previous videos have seen the musician collaborate with Jimmy Turrell, Laura Gorun and Brook Linder for single Dear Life, and filmmaking studio Canada for Up All Night, the winner of Best Alternative Video at the UK’s Music Video Awards last year. A sneak preview of Edgar and Beck’s collaration was hinted at when the director accepted an NME award for Best Film in February via video while on set with Beck, who crops up dancing in the background.
The full video for Colors is streaming on Apple Music, but a clip can be found on YouTube (below).
- Alice Zoo documents the real day-to-day lives of performers in a travelling circus
- Jenny Schweitzer's latest short is an uplifting account of life in an American retirement home
- Next 2 Nothing is the how-to manual of tips and tricks for any aspiring filmmaker
- Haleigh Mun on finding her own illustrative style rather than trying to be a “cool artist”
- Genuine collaborations inform Swiss design studio Omnigroup's broad practice
- Filmmaker Duncan Cowles on how your own tone of voice can create the best audience reaction
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice