Some of the art world’s biggest names are to donate works to aid with the renovation and rebuilding of one of Europe’s best-loved buildings.
The Parisian output of mega-dealer Larry Gagosian’s globe-spanning collection of galleries is gearing up to host a huge fundraiser in the wake of April’s tragic fire at the Notre Dame cathedral.
Opening in June and running until late July, An Exhibition for Notre Dame will feature work by the likes of Cindy Sherman, Rachel Whiteread, and Taryn Simon. Every penny raised will, we’re told, be going straight to the Friends of Notre-Dame de Paris and La Fondation Notre Dame.
Given that other contributors include Ed Ruscha, Andreas Gursky, Takashi Murakami, Patti Smith, Theaster Gates, and many more, you’d assume that the Gagosian will be making a pretty hefty donation after the show closes.
The gallery, located in the city’s eigth arrondissement just off the Champs-Élysées, states that: “In the spirit of the gallery’s ongoing commitment to artists and the arts, proceeds will be directed to support the renovation and restoration of the medieval cathedral – an icon for the city of Paris and its people, the French nation, and the world.”
Titular top-dog Larry is quoted as saying: “I wish to contribute to the reconstruction of this iconic monument after watching, with devastation, as it was engulfed in flames.”
- Office supplies plan, sweat, struggle and stress in Philotheus Nisch's recent series for Die Epilog
- It’s been another busy year of cultural design projects for Badesaison
- Kengo Kuma tells us why we need “a new period of natural design”
- The essentials of handling your finances as a graduate, junior or freelance creative
- Painter Nick McPhail uses Renaissance techniques to make his architectural landscapes “glow”
- Photographer George Muncey on making the most of what's available
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!