Helmut Lang is known its unconventional, offbeat advertising campaigns. In 1997, the innovative designer moved his fashion label from Paris to New York and was the first to launch a campaign atop of the city’s iconic yellow taxis. Dozens of brands have, since then, followed in its steps. Two decades later, Helmut Lang pays homage to the iconic ads by celebrating taxi drivers worldwide in its latest campaign.
London, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo cab drivers feature in the latest campaign series, wearing hoodies and T-shirts in different primary colours with “taxi” written on them in small capitals. The brand has commissioned an emerging photographer from the various cities in order to authentically portray each city’s unique cultural identity.
Alexandra Leese documents the Hong Kong cab drivers in their red hoodies and muddied crocs; Patrick Welde shoots the Parisian taxi drivers in front of iconic landmarks; Kenta Nakamura photographs the bustling Tokyo streets; and Tom Emmerson captures London’s spirit through his images of the iconic black cabbies. Helmut Lang has also rereleased the original NYC campaign from 2017, which was shot by Alex Lee.
The campaign also includes short films of its taxi-driving protagonists. One video features a Hong Kong taxi driver telling the story of his 30-year career and talking about the liberating nature of his job.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice