ITV has revealed the idents created by UK students and graduates for its “new talent” takeover month, with five teams of emerging designers and artists behind the short clips. It forms part of the wider ITV Creates series of idents for 2019, which has seen 52 different artists and designers rebrand the ITV logo in a variety of ways, to be filmed by ITV Creative for the channel.
Each ident will be broadcast in between programming for a week, commencing this week with Emily Downing and Olivia Weston, junior creatives at Saatchi & Saatchi and winners of the Good Stuff Media Showcase competition. Their design shows henna drawn across eight pairs of hands, symbolising an offering.
Following that, the idents will feature work by scientist-turned-art student Brandon Saunders from Newcastle University; a group of fine art students from Arts University Bournemouth; Ash Kayser, an MA Graphic Art student from the University of West England; and Erin Taylor from Manchester Metropolitan University.
The roster was curated by Charlie Levine, who says that ITV Creates “is a real snapshot of what is happening in the arts right now” and that it was her priority to make the 52 artists diverse and representative of the UK creative industry.
Levine was tasked with sourcing artists from a diverse range of backgrounds, experience and disciplines for the entire year of idents. For the new talent portion, ITV approached a selection of universities and sent a brief to the four chosen schools. For the fifth ident, ITV presented the brief at the Good Stuff Media Showcase, giving creative agencies the opportunity to pitch.
The brief asked creatives to make or customise the ITV logo in any sculptural way they wished, that could be filmed, inspired by themes such as communication, television, technology, entertainment or togetherness, or even a personal experience or relationship with ITV itself.
- Paul Wright's paintings of Peggy Mitchell and Del Boy are bound to make you smile
- Daniel Wenzel faces the question of automation in creativity head-on in Automatic Type Design
- Abracradama studio designs a crafty and tonal identity for Hap ceramics
- A beginner’s guide to the world of digital art
- Be wowed by recent graduate Kieran McLister’s detail-driven stop motion animations
- “Click before anybody gets too comfortable”: New work from Daniel Arnold
- Graphic Design is Mental: Tips for looking after your state of mind as a designer
- Alan Titchmarsh stars in new campaign for Adidas’ Gardening Club collection
- Banksy opens his own store, Gross Domestic Product, in wake of legal dispute
- Moonlight, Ex Machina and The Witch go to print in three books designed by Actual Source
- Sometimes Always’ identity for São Paulo bar Caracol has over 10 billion compositions
- Basile Fournier speculates on how technology will affect the role of the future designer