Every so often we see a music video at It’s Nice That which eclipses any we’ve seen before. Director Jack Whiteley and Joe Wills have created what we can only describe as a magical masterpiece for Swedish electronic band Little Dragon’s latest delicious record, Lover Chanting.
The action kicks off with a young girl, logging into a mythical role-play game from her teen-ephemera packed bedroom, with a bowl of sugary cereal next to her computer monitor (for fuel, naturally). What ensues is a suitably other-worldly place of fellow role-play gamers. There’s a cartoon-like character with a shield and sword. A host of wildly dressed up dancers, jokers and magicians. Then enters main star, Little Dragon’s own Yukimi Nagano, in a dark blue velvet cloak.
Levelling up through a series of records acting as level-up coins, the characters enter a crazy castle with an exceptionally out of this world DJ and they all dance like the world is going to end… and if it did, what a joyful way to go. Yukimi emerges in this scene with a holographic, iridescent rainbow get up. The music video is essentially full of pure delightful joy. This is a role play game we really want to play.
- Protests, cute culture and the UK’s fruit market: Suzy Chan on her innovative design practice
- Multi-disciplinary artist Samuel Burgess Johnson on his work for The 1975
- Amanda Baldwin translates everyday objects into fine art reflections of society
- Animator and illustrator Anna Katalin Lovrity works with “brave and rough shapes”
- Charles-Henry Bédué photographs the intimacy and mystery of family homes
- Erik Brandt releases his final Ficciones Typografika as a book documenting the project’s entirety
- Photographer Ryan Duffin embraces the quirks of his subjects and the outtakes of life
- Q is the world’s first genderless voice hoping to eradicate gender bias in technology
- How and when do you shut down your studio? Carly Ayres on the decision to close HAWRAF
- Alexis Jamet's animations are warm, nostalgic and beautiful in their simplicity
- KFC's latest ad reminds you it's not AFC, BFC, or even CFC