Every so often we see a music video at It’s Nice That which eclipses any we’ve seen before. Director Jack Whiteley and Joe Wills have created what we can only describe as a magical masterpiece for Swedish electronic band Little Dragon’s latest delicious record, Lover Chanting.
The action kicks off with a young girl, logging into a mythical role-play game from her teen-ephemera packed bedroom, with a bowl of sugary cereal next to her computer monitor (for fuel, naturally). What ensues is a suitably other-worldly place of fellow role-play gamers. There’s a cartoon-like character with a shield and sword. A host of wildly dressed up dancers, jokers and magicians. Then enters main star, Little Dragon’s own Yukimi Nagano, in a dark blue velvet cloak.
Levelling up through a series of records acting as level-up coins, the characters enter a crazy castle with an exceptionally out of this world DJ and they all dance like the world is going to end… and if it did, what a joyful way to go. Yukimi emerges in this scene with a holographic, iridescent rainbow get up. The music video is essentially full of pure delightful joy. This is a role play game we really want to play.
- Jawa El Khash's latest work resurrects lost artefacts in a virtual afterlife
- “In the end, design is about feelings”: Off Office on its thoughtful design ethos
- Testosterone and the trans gaze: Laurence Philomene on photographing non-binary joy
- Greg Ito’s meticulous portfolio of paintings explores “time, love, loss, hope, and tragedy”
- Books are more than visual reference for Charlotte Ager, they are studies in how to tell stories
- The latest issue of Der Greif takes a shockingly explicit look at censorship (NSFW)
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals