Proving that it isn’t just smut-peddlers who are panicking about the plight of the humble bumblebee, Ronald McDonald and his band of burger-grilling buddies have entered the honey-laced foray.
After Pornhub decided in its infinite wisdom that the best way of raising awareness of the 70 or so species of bee set to perish in the near future was to invite hardcore adult entertainment stars like Will Pounder and Domino Presley to voice bee-themed, pollen-probing short films, several Swedish branches of McDonald’s have found themselves playing home to fully functioning beehives. All thanks to a new campaign orchestrated by Scandinavian agency NORD DDB.
Six french fry-flinging franchises across the country now find themselves in possession of the so-called McHives. Designed by Nicklas Nilsson – a set and costume designer who has previously worked with the likes of David Bowie and film director Roy Andersson – was recruited by the world’s number one fast food restaurant to aid with its ongoing sustainability drive.
The bees, we are told by a representative at NORD, “enter the hive through the main entrance and the restaurant also has a McDrive and seating outdoors.”
It would seem that the hope is that bees are just as attracted to the uniquely pungent scent that pumps out of McDonald’s as us humans are, and thus descend upon the McHives to carry out some more important than ever pollination.
- Daniel Britt’s hilariously surreal animations makes the nonsensical appear logical
- Ben Cullen Williams on investigating how a computer would dance
- From The New York Times to a comic on sex, illustrator Kati Szilágyi discusses her recent work
- Alan Warburton explores CGI production, toxic masculinity and vision through his hybrid practice
- “Animation is now a must for posters”: Sunny Studio on design for the digital age
- Greta Grotesk is a typeface in homage to the teenage activist’s handwriting
- Graphic Design is Mental: Tips for looking after your state of mind as a designer
- Alan Titchmarsh stars in new campaign for Adidas’ Gardening Club collection
- Banksy opens his own store, Gross Domestic Product, in wake of legal dispute
- Moonlight, Ex Machina and The Witch go to print in three books designed by Actual Source
- Sometimes Always’ identity for São Paulo bar Caracol has over 10 billion compositions
- Basile Fournier speculates on how technology will affect the role of the future designer